Faith

Faith/Belief, to me, has a very different meaning, which I don't mix with religion. By an average standard, most would call me an atheist, which I strongly disagree with.

Faith is sacrosanct, simple. and in one. It doesn't need any beautification. grandiose or marketing/selling to make anyone believe or prove its worth. This understanding hit me even harder when I was recently invited to a Bhagwath Gita paath (पाठ) by Jaya Kishoriji .

This was my first to such an event, and oh. what an eye opener it was. I was later made to understand that this was the norm across venues, which further made me question what we are all moving towards.

As against my assumption that such an event would be organized in a temple or a similar simplistic venue, the event was organized in a huge banquet hall which was grander than any of the wedding halls I've been too. The grandeur of the hall, the importance to the food served before and after the daily session (which I believe should have been सात्विक) and all other arrangements were just mind boggling. Even a mind that was not distracted easily would end up spending atleast some time gawking at it all. Ironically, what was being preached was to live a simple life, free of such frills (मोह-माया).

I was unaware of the popularity of Jaya Kishoriji, and was surprised by the many people who had come to listen to this 29 year old girl, who was doling out wisdom on the ways of the world, and how to steer clear of the different dilemmas in life through the teachings of the Gita. To give her credit, she started the 7 day event with a heads up that she is younger than majority of the crowd present :)

She is so popular, that all eyes were on her the instant she entered the hall, not even allowing her a reprieve of a few seconds to adjust her seat or the microphone. 
Constantly in the spotlight thanks to her demigod status. even her smallest movement or even a yawn was being watched and recorded, so much so that she had to request everyone not to use their mobiles while she was taking her seat.

For a 29 year old girl, wise beyond her age (or is it before her age !), one could witness the power and the pain that comes with being put on a pedestal.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What 'I' want to do

Charades we play

An Apology